Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 11, 2012

Livin The Simple Life

Let me say this...I am LIGHT-YEARS behind the rest of the world and I never realized it until lately.
It all started when I started my job a while back. The girls I work with all have IPhones and sit and play Words With Friends on their breaks (this doesn't happen often let me tell ya). Then there's the comments, "You don't have an IPhone?!"

How dare I not own the latest technology?

I had a Blackberry. I loved the heck out of the thing. Loved it so much it broke 3 times in the two years that I owned it. So, I would be without a phone for a week at a time, waiting for the lovely phone company to send me a new one. It was annoying. Do you know what it's like to live without your phone that you're so attatched to? Yeah. It hurt. Then came the monthly bill...With three people on our plan we payed out the nose for cell service. I hated that bill. Every stinkin month, paying more than $200 for a stupid cell phone. By the time my phone broke for the third time I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I went to the cell store and picked myself up the cheapest phone that I could find. You know - the dreaded free one. The free cell phone with no apps, only texting. Yep. I cut the umblical cord. GASP. How dare she?! My husband uses a Rugby for good reason. The farmer and the dell. He breaks his phones constantly, but since he got the Rugby it's never broken. So he can have his little luxury. I'll use my cheap phone and be content.

You know what else?! Are you ready for this?!

We don't have a Wi, an Ipad, a Kindle, Wifi, laptops, or any other new technology that keeps popping up. WHY?! HOW DO YOU LIVE IN AMERICA WITHOUT THESE LUXURIES?

I'm not sure why we don't keep up on technology. We have cell phones. We have cable, telephone, and internet - and it's not dial up. But we don't have all that extra stuff creeping up around us begging to be played with. I love going to lawn sales and buying books for a quarter. I love that I can read them thirty times or once and have the book on my self forever. I have the internet on my computer in my living room. My house is small. I don't need to transport an IPad throughout my house to make myself feel important. I just don't.

We're busy people. We work crazy hours between the farm and the hospital. Between sports, and summer rec leagues, early bedtimes, and playing with our kids, we don't have time to be texting every second of the day, or reading constantly. I went to Bible Study one night and one of the girls had the Bible App on her phone, so she wouldn't have to cart around a Bible. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I cherish my Bible and all the scribbles and notes in the corners. I love the tatered worn leather cover and the crumpled pages. It means so much to me, because it was a gift and I cherish it. I can't imagine giving up my worn Bible for an app on my IPhone.

I'm old fashioned. My mother is more technilogically advanced than I. She has a Nook, an Ipad, and an IPod. Weird. But I'll take laughter in my house, family dinners, closeness with my kiddos, and happy times over all that other junk that costs lots of money and eventually breaks. I love my sweet little life and I won't be exchanging it for technology any time soon!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment